Friday 15 February 2013

February 11, 2013 Kiel


Dear Family,
   Wow, that’s so exciting that Charlene is getting her mission call next week!! Yeah, just email the B family and they'll call Elder A, who'll call me and let me know! Ah, I'm really excited to hear where you're going Charlene. I guess France, since you can speak FrenchJ!

  Jeremy that's so cool that you're keeping busy and taking missionary opportunities as you prep yourself for your mission. That's really exciting! Let me know when your Profile is finished, maybe I'll check it out. I won't be able to understand it, but naja; I'll still be able to see it.

  I'll let you know a bit about how my last week has been. On Monday we had our Zone P-day. So we had 20 missionaries in Kiel and we all wrestled, ate pizza, and played board games and socialized. It was sweet being able to have everyone together and have some fun. At about 6:00 PM that night, Elder G and I travelled to Berlin to work with the Assistants to the President (APs) there. Berlin is a big city. We stayed the night and then spent the day with them and at around 6:00 PM headed back towards Kiel. The cities are about 3 hours apart by train. While we were with them we talked to people and handed out fliers for a free English course that they have every Saturday. We got into some pretty cool conversations with people, and I just happened to meet my first JEW in Germany. Ha-ha, it was way cool! He's like 'I kind of believe the opposite things as you guys.' and then we asked him what he believes in, and he straight up told us he's a Jew. He was about 80 years old. He laughed after he said it and wished us a good night as he closed the door. He left me thinking there, wow, my first Jew! Lol.

  On another note, V is still making a lot of progress. He decided not to come to church this last Sunday. He still doesn't feel confident enough to be around other people. But he's really glowing more and more every time we see him! L is also doing really well. I'm pretty sure he's really rich because he doesn't have school right now so he just travels around Europe on the weekends... and man that's expensive to do. He went to Southern Germany for 10 days. He won't be back until next Monday. Why not, right?? Ha-ha!

We had an awesome meal appointment yesterday at a member’s house. They had a friend there around 50 years old who didn't believe in God at all. We were able to leave a spiritual thought about how to grow faith. Here's kind of how the thought went:

Faith comes through hearing the Word of God.:
 Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 
                   17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Then comes our part: to experiment on what we hear using prayer:
  3 Nephi 27: 28 And now I go unto the Father. And verily I say unto you, whatsoever things ye shall ask the Father in my name shall be given unto you.
                     29 Therefore, ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you; for he that asketh, receiveth; and unto him that knocketh, it shall be opened.

Then our answers come through the Holy Ghost:
  Moroni 10: 4 ...and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth...unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
`                   5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

After the spiritual thought the man really pondered and reconsidered if there was really a God or not. He said he's never prayed before but I know it left some kind of impression on him. The spirit was really strong in the meeting. My heart was burning as my companion and I bore testimony of how we found out that God really does exist and that Jesus really is our Savior and Redeemer. I'm excited to see if we were able to move him in any way to try again and really find out if He's there or not. We'll find out this week.

  We had our transfer call on Saturday and Elder G and I are staying together for one more transfer here in Kiel. I'm glad because we got to know each other pretty well and we get along great. He's from Iceland. I'm not sure if I've mentioned that before or not. And his last name is Gerhardsson, because his father’s name is Gerhard. So he's Gerhard's son ha-ha. It's what they do in Iceland. I thought it was pretty cool, lol. His sister’s last name is Gerhardsdaughter. 

  I absolutely love being a Zone Leader. I learn so much and love being able to help and learn from the other missionaries. I'm trying really hard to be a good example and I know the Lord is helping me to do that. I don't really know how to describe it. I just know that everyone watches what you do and that they look at you as an example when you’re a ZL. Also, I love preparing and giving lessons. I find a lot of joy in it and love bearing testimony.

  I didn't get Aunty Kirsten’s package yet. If she mailed it to the office, then I should get in on Friday, because I'm going to Berlin for a Zone Leader Council meeting with President Kosak. I'll let you know if it's there or not. 

  Thanks for letting me know about your highlights of last week Mom and Dad. It's going to be really weird for you once everyone's gone, ha-ha. Don't worry; it won't be too long till I'm back again!

  I love you guys and hope you have a good week!

Elder Lüning

No comments:

Post a Comment