Monday 18 February 2013

February 18, 2013, Kiel


Dear Family,

   So this has been an eventful week, full of surprises. Tuesday evening, we went to play indoor soccer and my companion broke his left foot. He rolled it and figured it was badly sprained. We stayed until the game was over (only 15 minutes left) and then drove home. We found parking about 100 feet away from our apartment, so I piggy backed him to the door and then helped him hop up 5 stories to get into our apartment, ha-ha. I felt kind of bad, but it was funny at the same time. I kept calling him “crippled”. He wasn't in a lot of pain or anything; he said it just felt like he sprained it so he couldn't put any pressure on it. The next day, in the morning, we went to emergency and after 3 hours, we left, with his left foot in a cast that he needs to wear for about 6 weeks. He fractured the bone on the left side of side of his foot. So we spent the rest of the day indoors. Then on Thursday he had an appointment with the doctor who told him to stay inside for at least 2 to 3 days and not do anything. So the rest of the day on Thursday, after we (or I should say a member and I) helped a friend move out of his apartment we spent the rest of the day indoors. We stayed home until about 6:30 PM.

   We had a Zone Leader Council Meeting in Berlin on Friday. It takes about 3 1/2 hours to drive to Berlin, so we decided to leave that night instead of in the morning. We got to Berlin at about 10:30 PM Thursday night. It was weird being inside for so long during those 2 days but I tried to make the best out of it, by studying and doing a little planning.

   Zone Leader Council was really good. The spirit was really powerful in the meeting and we were able to discuss a lot of things that we would like to see in our mission, and things that we would like to disappear from our mission. President Kosak is an amazing Mission President. It's really inspiring to see how the Lord his helping him lead this mission and in making decisions to improve it. Elder G fixed some of the computers in the office and then we left with the Elders from Hamburg at about 9:30 PM, to drive them home. We made it to Hamburg at about 12:00 AM (midnight); then slept there and drove home to Kiel at 6:30 AM.

   Then we had our District meeting at 9:30 AM, and the rest of the day we planned for Zone Training Meeting (Wednesday this week) and for District Leader Council, (which we had yesterday in Neumunster). We were definitely busy, and really tired.

   Our Ward Mission Leader is awesome, though. On Sunday he helped set up 9 splits for this coming week, so that I can go out and do work while someone else stays with Elder G. We desperately need to do finding and find new investigators to teach.  The ones we have now (besides 2) aren't making progress. I'm really excited to work with the members. We're going to spend a lot of time planning out this week and praying for places for to go to find people.

   We met with V this week once on Tuesday, and were devastated to find out that he started drinking again. I talked with him a couple more times on the phone, throughout the rest of the week, but it seemed like he was really depressed. I felt prompted to call him last night and did, and he was sober, and really appreciated the call. I hope that it was just a little bump, and that he still has the drive to stay away from drinking. The last time he was drunk for 4 months drinking 16 beers per day. We'll be trying to do a lot of work with him daily this week to keep him busy and focused.

   So yeah, that's how my week went so far. I was a little up and down this week (mood wise); just because of everything that was going on. But I feel really excited for this week, and to see what will happen.

  Wow I can't believe Granny passed away. I thought for sure I would be able to see her again after I came home. You're right though she is in a better place. I miss her already and thought about her a lot since I've been out. Having a Great Grandma at home, who's about 103 years old, seems to come up more than one would think. Thanks for letting me know! 

  I got Auntie Kirsten’s big letter on Friday while I was in Berlin. I picked it up from the office and wow, its long! I haven't had time to finish it yet, ha-ha, but I really love it! Thank them and Uncle Glenn for the card and letters for me!

   I also received a letter from Sister Wilson, who I don't know, but thought it was cool that she wrote me! Anyway, things are going well and I'm really excited to see hear where Charlene is going to get called to. Jamie O wrote me and let me know that she got her Mission Call! She's also going on a mission and will be in the MTC at the same time as Jeremy (May 5th). She'll be serving in the states, I don't remember where, I'll have to read the letter again, but yeah, its exciting seeing how many people we know are going on missions!

   I love you all and hope you have a good week!

Elder Christopher Lüning!

No comments:

Post a Comment